Thursday, September 09, 2004

Here we go AGAIN

I just can not even believe or fathom that after 2 storms 3 weeks apart, we are not looking a the potential of another one worst than either of the other 2, and as early as next Monday or Tuesday. Ivan seems to really be destroying some little countries and is a wicked storm.

I was concerned about living without power and damages from the last 2, but this one looks like power would be the least of our worries. I have been watching some of the stories on TV an am very nervous about this one.

After fighting traffic yesterday to get out, I am counting my blessings that I do not go to the typical 8-5 JOB. Many of my friends and family wonder why I don't "WORK" as they do, driving to report for duty, but right now, I am THANKFUL I didn't listen to them years ago when they told me I was nuts. Right now, if everything blows away, at least my income would still come in as it's not dependent on a nuts and bolts job to report to, so that is the least of my worries.

Last night I spoke to a nice guy online that was a victim of Hurricane Andrew, which was the biggest storm anyone had seen at that point. He gave me some great tips about putting all my important papers and photos, into plastic bags or tupperware. I thought that is a GREAT idea so I'm going to organize some of that stuff and to that. That might not be such a bad idea to get me a little organized anyway. It's something I've been "meaning" to do for a long time anyway.

I had a call from my daughter in Minnesota, who things we should sell and move up there, and buy a home where we can all live at the same place. I'm not ready to leave Florida yet. The way I see it they have weather problems no matter where you go, from tornados, to monsoons, to earthquakes.

Right now, I'm just really sort of sick of hearing of storms, and getting stir crazy cause I don't want to get out into the traffic. Our state allowed the area to become much overdeveloped in my opinion. Years ago back when I was in school the area they now call "New Tampa" was a literal Swamp with cypress trees and water. Developers came in and put some sand in there and built, and built and built. Now before the storms traffic was horrendous that way during rush hour.

Since Frances, water from the old swamp went over the road bridge in one direction causing damage, so now those poor folks that have to drive in to the city to work, have a 2 land road for thousands and thousands and thousands of them to commute each day. That was part of what I experienced yesterday going to my acountants and I certainly would not be patient enough to do that every day. YIKES. You sit for several minutes, a light changes and 3 cars go thru, so you wait some more.

All I could think of was with gas supplies running low, stations out, evacuations, all that wasted fuel with these giant gas burners certainly was not helping the situation. Unfortuantely for me, I gave my little Toyata to my kids back last June, and bought a Buick Rendevous that only gets about 17 MPG in the city. I don't use much gas as I don't drive every day but in a situation like this, makes it rough if you can't get gas or supplies.

At this point all we can do is hope and pray...as news just said storm was upgraded now to a CAT 5 and may be headed again to Florida. This is NOT good.


No comments: