Tuesday, September 07, 2004

End of Frances

Well, it's all over and we survived another one.

I ventured out to take the dog to the vet's office to have some stitches removed. It is about a 20 minute drive. All in all, I saw a lot of tree limbs and leaves down, a few fences blown over, signs and even a metal roof crumbled but really no major damage. For this I was very thankful.

The storm as it hit our area had been downgraded to a tropical storm. I can't imagine if it had been 2-3 times that. My neighbors on a few of the blocks remain without power. If any of your are in Florida and have power, look around your neighborhood and share some ice and drinks with them.

Now the aftermath, rivers are overflowing into people's homes, and many are under water. Many will be without power for quite a while. Can you imagine, NO lights, NO Air, NO refrigerator, and NO TV?

When I got to the vets they had partial power but no air conditioning. Next door was a big grocery store with NO Power. They had to throw out all the meats, and freezer stuff and even bread. What a big waste. I asked why they could not cook and donate to the shelters or people without food, but was told they would not because it was too much risk that people may get sick and sue them.

No matter what, all of us will end up paying for this storm, in increased insurance costs and costs of supplies. Even Gas stations sold totally out of gas. It's sad and scary. People ahve to watchout for price gouging and stuff crooks that rush in to sell them repairs.

Now.... all this is over and people are trying to return to the normal life, fix broken things but yet, on the horizon, all eyes are on the next horrible storm.. IVAN. All we can do at this point is PRAY...

I was hoping this would be the END of my hurricane blog so I could get back to building my business. I will be working again this week, but again with one eye glued to the TV. AND also have to get to the store and get better prepared just in case. I didn't realize till the storm was almost on us how unprepared I really was for long term, of possible no power to cook with, and food that didnt need cooking.

Realizing that now, I will be shopping better this week, and also looking for propane for the camp stove as well as trying to find a generator for emergencies. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be any generators available locally right now, but hopfully we can find the propane.

Well I HOPE this is the end of my hurricane blog. I was going to learn write about building a home business when I stated this blog, and what it really takes to build a business. As soon as I catch up with my backlog in my business, I'll get back.

Please everyone keep our state in your prayers. It's not an easy time to be living in Florida.
.

No comments: