Friday, September 03, 2004

Continuing coverage of Hurricane Francis

Well here we sit waiting once again for this storm I figured it would be a good time to practice learning about blogs. I am learning I didn't do a good job on my other post as it went into the comments section, but I am new to this, and determined to learn.

This is our 2nd hurricane alert in 3 weeks. It's getting old as it sort of puts your life on hold. We've got a long weekend ahead. This storm was due to be coming up here today, but as of yet, it's slowed down and waiting.

Now they say it will take 24 hours for this cane to move from east coast to west coast where we are. Without all the TV reports and radio reports, you would never know it's coming. It's a beautiful balmy day, with a nice breeze, warm and sunny. I guess that's where they get the saying the calm before the storm.

Many of my friends, family and business associates from other states have been calling and emailing. They have graciously offered me a place to come visit. While I appreciate that, It's kind of hard to make that decision to pack up and leave your home. I decide to stay and wait and see what happens. Thankfully I am NOT in a flood zone or an evacuation zone.

Most of those on our east coast have evacuated and left our state or moved over here to our coast. Gas stations are running short on gas and many have out of gas signs up already as our hotels over here are sold out. There is NO ROOM at the inn for anyone. If you did not fill up with gas, you take your chances now. Stations have OUT OF GAS signs up or plastic over the pumps.

Yesterday I went to the grocery store for extra water and batteries, and it was weird to see that every cart going to check out had the same stuff in them, water, batteries, flashlights and all sorts of stuff. I remember thinking how these stores are making a killing on these hurricanes selling all the extra water and batteries.

There is such a rush on customers for gas, that the stations are closing and have no idea when they will get more gas. Kind of scary for those that have big gas guzzlers. If the storm hits walking or bikes will be how we get around. No one knows when gas supplies can come back in as they are halted waiting on Frances.

After dinner we grew weary of watching all the tv stories of this coming storm, so hubby and I went down and rented about 10 movies to watch over the long weekend. When we got home with them, I had the thought that they would do us little good if we lose power. (DUH Blonde in me strikes again). A friend stopped to see hubby so I thought I would practice blogging and share the story of waiting on the strom.

For now I can get online, do my email, and work my business. I don't know what I was thinking on the movies, as I was thinking if I can't get online I could watch movies....but chances are if that happens, I won't have power, so time will tell.

I guess to me having lived my life in the Tampa Bay are these approaching storms are old hat. I've been lucky all the years never to have been in the center of one, but I have been thru dozens and dozens of near misses. I hope my luck holds out in that regard.

I heard the report just now that the outer edges of Frances is just starting to come into our state now, It's now positioned over the Bahamas where it seems it's been all day long. It's moving slowly so only time will tell where it's going now.

Well I'm off to watch one of our movies with hubby and his friend. More later.

No comments: